Saturday, June 27, 2026

Putrid Arcanum - Maleficium Codex [2026]


Artist: Putrid Arcanum
Album: Maleficium Codex
Year: 2026
Genre: Death Metal
Web: https://youtu.be/LR75yicFoWY / https://maleficiumsyndicate-records.bandcamp.com/Putrid Arcanum
Country: Argentina
Quality: 320 Kbps

Tracklist:
1. Necromantic Rites
2. Alchemy of Rotting Flesh
3. The Ossuary Experiment
4. Catacomb Neural Extraction
5. Putrefaction Catalyst
6. Cranial Resurrection Formula
7. Tomb Laboratory
8. Sepulchral Transmutation
9. Vortex of Necrotic Knowledge
10. Mastery of the Grave

Witness: -[*]-
I came across this album a little over a month ago at STB, and finally got around to listening to it today. The first song starts out with violin, piano, and some weird (shitty) clean vocals like something out of a Broadway play, but then about 1'30" into it, everything changes, and the rest of the album is actually highly effective death metal. So much so that after about 5-6 songs, I was very excited about this release, and wanted to find out more about the band. Unfortunately, that is when it took a wrong turn: I discovered on the Bandcamp page that this is AI-generated death metal. Supposedly, there is human involvement in creative direction, editing, and conceptual development, but all of the music is literally just 1s and 0s. It's sad because I really want to like this album, but I also want to know that there are talented humans playing instruments to create the music. The other issue I have is that I feel like the AI is just going to keep getting better & better at creating the music I love until there is no point for humans to even be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment