Saturday, January 20, 2018

DDM's Best of 2017

Last year I have been away for work frequently.
I found it very hard to keep track of all releases and still I have procured a lot of albums.
My picks are based on multiple listens from the ones that I could. Surely I missed some gems.

My taste for metal is changing. You see I made a black metal pick as well. There are some really good ones in there.
Also, more complex experimental I can dig, bands like Dodecahedron, Ulsect, Pyrrhon, Cormorath etc.

Below is a top 10 as I thought it was appropriate, but could have been totally different if I had more time.

1. Immolation - Atonement
2. Cytotoxin - Gammageddon
3. Phrenelith - Desolate Endscape
4. Ensnared - Dysangelium
5. Decrepit Birth - Axis Mundi
6. Horrified - Allure of the Fallen
7. Broken Hope - Mutilated and Assimilated
8. Sutrah - Dunes
9. Spectrum of Delusion - Esoteric Entity
10. Archspire - Relentless Mutation

The following releases really stood out for me/ were doubts for top 10 in any order:

Unaussprechlichen Kulten - Keziah Lilith Medea (Chapter X)
Degial - Predator Reign
Trepid Elucidation - Upcoming Reality
The King Is Blind - We Are the Parasite, We Are the Cancer
Gigan - Undulating Waves of Rainbiotic Iridescence
Gorephilia - Severed Monolith
Grotesque - Feedback Loop
Integral - Resilience
Inverted Matter - Detach 
Subservience - Forest of the Impaled
Cryptic Fog - Staring Through the Veil
Necrot - Blood Offerings
Ogarya - Ubiquity
Creeping Fear - Onward to Apocalypse 
Vampire - With Primeval Force
Cut Up - Wherever They May Rot
Beneath - Ephemeris
Cannibal Corpse - Red Before Black
Incantation - Profane Nexus
The Monolith Deathcult - Versus 1
Narcotic Wasteland - Delirium Tremens
Necrovorous - Plains of Decay
Contaminated - Final Man

EP:

Slave One - An Abstract and Metaphysical Approach to Deceit
Hateful Transgression - Meaningless
Sheidim - Infamata
Gorod - Kiss the Freak
Sinsaenum - Ashes
Seprevation - Echoes of Mercy
Inhumation - Ontogenesis

Black (Death) Metal Best:

Kadaverdisciplin - Death Supremacy
Aosoth - V: The Inside Scriptures
Woe - Hope Attrition
Bestia Arcana - Holókauston
Inconcessus Lux Lucis - The Crowning Quietus
Theotoxin - Atramentvm
Cult of the Horns - Chapter I - Domination
Der Weg Einer Freiheit - Finisterre
Selbst - Selbst
Tehom - The Merciless Light

Thrash Best:

Vexovoid - Call Of The Starforger
Condor - Unstoppable Power
Craven Idol - The Shackles of Mammon
Slaegt - Domus Mysterium

Technical Death Metal Best:

Decrescent - Blackened Bequest
Order ov Riven Cathedrals - The Discontinuity's Interlude
A Flourishing Scourge - A Flourishing Scourge
Virulent Depravity - Fruit of the Poisoned Tree
Profanity - The Art of Sickness
Beyond Grace - Seekers
Exocrine - Ascension
Shadow of Intent - Reclaimer
Phobiatic - Phobiatic
Discordance - In The Shadow Of Leaves

Honourable Mentions:

Kalopsia - Angelplague
Oblivion - The Path Towards...
Analepsy - Atrocities from Beyond
Blood Freak - Total Destruction of the Human Form
Azarath - In Extremis
Handsome Prick - Anonymityville
Wrath of Belial - Bloodstained Rebellion
Enfold Darkness - Adversary Omnipotent
Origin - Unparalleled Universe
Afterbirth - The Time Traveler's Dilemma
Gutslit - Amputheatre
Hour of Penance - Cast the First Stone
Hideous Divinity - Adveniens
Impetuous Ritual - Blight upon Martyred Sentience
Brute - Henchmen
Anasarca - Survival Mode

Disappointments:

Morbid Angel - Perhaps expectation level set too high.
God Dethroned - Still ok, but missing the bite.
The Kennedy Veil - Guess needs more listens. First attempts not grabbing me.

Who said death metal is dead???

No comments:

Post a Comment